Monday, March 22, 2010

rough theater

Intriguing article. It's an interesting notion that humanity is rough around the edges, and so should be its art. Andre's comment about AVATAR, and the time and place for high priced special effects was also true: I can appreciate both slick and rough modes of cinema. A recent example is a film called OVER THE G.W. which I just watched for the second time. It first came to my attention at the CUcalorus festival three years ago, and I got my hands on a DVD last week. I told my wife she had to watch it. She was reluctant, until I pressed play. The story is about teenagers with drug problems who get "treatment" at this shady Brooklyn facility. The cinematography is unintelligible at times, the editing is jarring, and every frame looks green. And it is immensely compelling. The roughness doesn't detract from overall viewing experience. Honestly, AVATAR left me a little ho-hum, despite the pristine tall blue people.
This is a good concept for me to ponder because I am prone to perfectionism when I work. The irony is that perfection doesn't exist. I'm chasing a shadow when I fall into that trap, and the truth is that sometimes the grit is what makes art compelling. The "ah ha"moment came with the illustration of the German musicians with their electronic notes, having to dirty up the sound to recreate the noise of life. When a clarinet is blown, more than a note emerges. The hiss of breath moving down the wooden cylander and the click of keys, the vibration of the reed... all of those elements including the tone of the note comprise the music that the clarinet produces. That's roughness!

No comments:

Post a Comment